Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Out here on my own :-)

I was invited to a friend's wedding, and was also asked to be the best man. The wedding was in Shimla, so I carried my camera. Click the pic for the general touristy pics :



But I noticed something that I miss when I am in Glasgow. I blended in like nothing. Here, even in a city that's becoming multi-ethnic, multi-lingual and (supposedly) multi-cultural, I get stared at quite a bit. Shimla's quite smaller, and I was all right there -- or at least unnoticeable compared to the priest with whom I went touristing around Shimla town centre. Tallish guy with white hair and white skin. And I was the one with the camera!

I guess with the staring in Glasgow also comes the question, "do I belong here? will I belong here in time?" Last Sunday I returned from London and was waiting on a bus back to the West End. The 62 eventually came along and these teenagers (twentysomethings?) got off the bus, the first yelling something random as he disembarked -- frightening the old lady in front of me, who let out a surprised "ohh!". The guy behind the yeller said something meant to be apologetic like "kids today" with a knowing grin. I rolled my eyes. "Welcome back to the Land of the Nutters", I told myself. Although to be honest, that place isn't really Glasgow so much as the front of Central Station (especially as the evening arrives) -- I usually avoid the place myself.

But I have had a hard time trying to put the stereotype of Scottish people as joyful noisemakers to rest (see old post about previous flat). The barber at the south end of the station had told me Scots take stuff less seriously and I think I took that to heart -- meaning consideration for others as well. Although noticing people keeping doors open for others behind them did give me pause. And it does help to be a part of some groups off Meetup.com since I have met many quiet Scottish people there.

And then, too, I've only been here about 15 months, so I guess I'll have to do my time. No shortcuts to feeling a part of a town... especially when it's in the UK and you don't drink much or follow the footy...

*resigned sigh* Well, London's only 400 miles away.

3 comments:

  1. u can do really well in India as Indians are used to tourists, whether white black, brown or yellow.accept women are easy to targets to rapes coz they are white and pretty, something indian local men fall for and can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, Administrator, you mean "except", not "accept" (which would be weird and rather offensive). An English friend of mine might agree with you as she was constantly harassed on the train. Women's rights in India (esp in the North?) is a fascinating subject, and you see some of that in the UK news too e.g. honour killings, arranged marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes fitting in takes a while. Especially if you're atypical to the place you've chosen to call home.

    My view is: don't attempt to fit in. You change too much of yourself if you do that.

    Maybe it's not even fitting in so much as it is feeling comfortable in your own skin, even when your own skin is different to the majority of the people around you. ;-)

    (finally a new post - and wonderfully thoughtful)

    ReplyDelete