Sunday, May 9, 2010

A post about being too busy, or not creative enough, to post

Does creativity come from boredom? Having your mind switched off, away from TV, instant messaging, BlackBerrys[R]/iPhones[R] long enough for your muse to work?

My head ached from watching screens all week, but maybe it also ached from lack of stimulation -- boring admin-style work, from just surfing the net when I got home, and from not playing music almost daily like I used to do, a few years ago.

I played for half hour today, reading from sheet music, playing new music (badly) and picking tunes as I went. The relief, while not immediate and complete, was there. What a sight I must have been, sounding out notes, going back and playing phrases again, wincing at that not-quite-right chord ... but hearing the song go by in my head, melody and harmony waiting for my fingers to hit the chord and then feeding me the next phrase. And that was as close as I got to that stereotype of the artist, painting/drawing/singing/dancing as the muse whispers in his/her ear. :-)

Time to search for some classical music concerts / piano recitals in Glasgow then...

1 comment:

  1. i think we sometimes go through periods when our "creative" side lies dormant until something happens to reawaken it and get our juices flowing again...

    and yes - you need live classical music in your life again... it is time... ;-)

    ReplyDelete