Sunday, October 10, 2010

Moving

"You're leaving Trinidad and going to Atlanta? ... oh, college. Well, are you thinking of coming back?"

It was easy to answer "probably not", given that programming, software and the web hadn't really taken off in the Caribbean yet.

"I heard you're moving to New York ... oh, for work. Lot less laid back there, you know."

Another easy one -- I had a job offer in hand, had already visited the Big Apple a couple times and completed an internship in NYC. (Plus, Trini food is a lot easier to find there than down south, with the exception of Miami...)

"Why are you moving to London? ... You'll miss NYC. You know there's more crime in London, don't you?"

But the place felt more personal, and once you got to know someone, even the reserved English, they were (likely) your friends for life.

"Why did you move to Glasgow? ... You'll miss London. The place is a lot ... erm, less Caribbean up there, you know."

But the locals are even friendlier and the city more walkable.

And so on and so forth. But when will I be having this conversation again? And will the reasons and justifications eventually become rationalisations and weak excuses? With each city I leave, I also leave behind friends and acquaintances whom I still visit when time/money/energy permit.

Back at my old place, closer to the Clyde, I once shared a lift with an elderly gentleman who had lived in various cities all over Africa and Europe (and was complaining about the manners of the couple just in front of us who had grabbed the lift and gone -- further adding to the anxiety of this new Glaswegian!). The Russian shopkeeper down the street has lived 16 years in Paris, 16 in London and just over 2 years here in Glasgow -- he does, however, have family living with him, or close by, I believe. So moving more than a few times doesn't have to preclude putting down roots, establishing yourself in the society, feeling part of the place (for once?).

Luckily, there are things to do in the West End (besides go to the many bars and clubs) so with any luck I will get in where I fit in soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment