Thursday, March 11, 2010

I got a wedding invitation

So I was in London last weekend, and as I usually do when I'm in London, I lime (or hang out, if you prefer) with a few friends, including an old friend of mine also from south Trinidad.

He is single, and also in the unenviable position of being the last in his close circle of friends to get married. (In future, that is. Or would be...)

And he got hit with THREE wedding invites from his buddies for this year. And a fourth -- from a friend of a friend. Damn. It does bring the word 'unenviable' to mind.

I hate stereotypes as much as the next person ;-) but his parents still conform very much to the 'Indian parent' syndrome. That is to say, every other conversation manages to have marriage/girlfriends/relationships worked in. And with no shame as it sure is time.

(And it's catching. My grandmother is not Indian, but her deceased husband was. As advanced as her Alzheimer's is getting, she still remembers to scold me for not having married as yet. Mm.)

As the night went on, every so often he would mention something else about one of the weddings he got invited to, and it was clear he wasn't half bitter about 'being last'. And I really felt for him. I don't know why lasting romance hasn't come into either of our lives but I personally don't bother about it too much. But I imagine receiving several wedding invitations from the 'happily engaged' friends -- when they know you're single* -- can grate. And I'm not sure what I would do if I were in his shoes. (I did mention turning some down, but still thinking about that...)

All I know is I find it quite inconsiderate -- in fact cruel -- for the lot of them to be sending him all these invitations for the same year. Airfare, tux, vacation days, hotel possibly -- all for a chance to shake your friend's hand, congratulate the blushing bride, and then shrink into the background as the bitter singleton. It's as if they didn't know him that well. For a close circle I'd expect more of them.

The least they could do is set him up with someone during the reception.

* and if they don't, why the hell not? They're your friends, aren't they??

1 comment:

  1. we shd form a club - the 30-something singleton club... we'll either boycott all weddings or crash them as a unit and get drunk while falling all over each other, the bridesmaids/groomsmen (as relevant) and the bride's smug ass parents...

    or we cld just suck it up and go to the weddings, smile fakely and cry into our cold pillows before eating a tub of ice-cream... personally i like chocolate...

    i too am the last of my friends to get connected... no-one seems to understand why it makes me slightly reclusive... hmmm... not even me really...

    ReplyDelete